Saturday, July 21, 2007

Yaounde airport

After traveling for almost 24 hours, I finally arrive at the Yaounde airport. NOT a friendly place! They are not familiar with the concept of customer service :-)
While still on the plane, the flight attendants distribute identification forms. On these forms you have to state who you are, why you're visiting, and who you're visiting. After getting off the plane, you follow the signs to baggage claim. Before you enter baggage claim you have to submit the form. It's rather confusing to know where to go and what to do. When you ask a question, they scowl at you. They make you feel miserable! I asked a guard who had taken a form and passport from another passenger should I give him mine. His response was "who do you think you are. You deserve no favors." I was speechless. I suppose I must of stood there looking hurt because in few minutes he came up, snatched my form and passport, and went around the corner. Then he returned with my passport and told me very coldly to go to baggage claim. I was too afraid to say thank you.

After I got my bags, I didn't see my host. Because of delays the flight was two hours late. I thought I'd better try to call my host. I went to another guard to ask how I could phone. His response was GET OUT! I looked at him like he was crazy. Then he shouted again very angrily GET OUT. Since I'm alone in a strange land, I didn't argue. I got the hell out.

Fortunately within a few minutes I saw my host and his party. They were so gracious and welcoming that they immediately erased the harsh treatment at the airport.

No comments: