Thursday, July 26, 2007

Seems like a fairy tale, part two

The next day three delightful Tikar women from Belo, who live in Yaoundé, came to see me. They welcomed me to Cameroon and invited me to join their women’s organization, which helps Tikar people in the northwest province. I will pay the membership fee and join.

Belo is the location of the other organization where I’m volunteering. I was supposed to meet my contact there Saturday and stay until Wednesday. But he and I have been having problems connecting and confirming. I was about to abandon the idea of volunteering there and meeting the Tikar tribe until the visit from the ladies. They said they planned to call the mayor of Belo to meet me Saturday. Although not confirmed, they said I will probably be staying in one of his residences. He’ll show me around and provide some history for me. The ladies expressed regret that because of slavery I have lost my African ancestral family name. As a result the mayor and the others in the tribe would not be able to trace my specific family. (When my finances allow, I will hire a private investigator to do a record search starting in Mississippi to trace my family name. It’s doubtful, but it’s worth a try.)

They were so nice to me and kept saying how God had brought me to them. They prayed a blessing over me. Their warmth and sincerity actually made me cry. They asked about my parents and fully expect me to bring my daughter and brothers here next year so they can welcome them as members of the Tikar tribe.

During the visit from the Tikar ladies, Martin came in and invited them to my mufua ceremony. They promised to come and wear the uniform that represents the tribe and their organization. In addition, during the workshop, Martin invited all the participants to the mufua ceremony. Of course, this will generate good publicity for CITEC, as well as making me feel part of a family.

Now you can see why I used the term fairy tale to describe these events. It truly sounds like a plot from a Hollywood feel good movie. I had no expectations about this trip. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine these experiences. Like all of us, I have had my share of rejection and abandonment. Therefore it has been a true blessing to be so warmly welcomed and appreciated by so many people.

On my 'milestone' birthday last week I had this unfamiliar moment of peace in my soul. I knew that I was in a place in my life where acceptance by others no longer mattered. I find it interesting that within a week of REALLY letting go my lifelong obsession for acceptance, I’m experiencing acceptance in abundance (except at the Yaoundé airport :-)

I don’t know what tomorrow will bring. By the end of this trip they might want to run me out of the country :-) But this woman who grew up an unattractive, socially awkward girl from Meridian, Mississippi TREASURES AND APPRECIATES EVERY MOMENT.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Im am so tremendously proud of you mommy!!! I cant wait to come next year, are you sure the title is passed on to me, it seems like a huge responsibility:) But, I am glad your safe and that they would bestow such a title on you, but like I have always said you are one amazing person mommy and all the wonderful things that are happing to you- you have always deserved! I LOVE U!!!

kbear said...

That is outstanding. All of this is happening after your !? birthday. I hope something great like this happens on my !? birthday oh in about 10 years (ha ha) from now. I'm really happy for you. Your family might have to go to Cameroon to drag you back to the good old USA after all the great things happening to you over there.

Unknown said...

You deserve every bit of this wonderful experience you are having, Mufua B! I've loved reading about your stay in Cameroon, and I look very much forward to seeing some of the photos you've been taking.

Uh, can the mufua also bring a Caucasian friend with her to the ceremony next May?!

Have you had much luck with filming those you encounter for your documentary?

Can't wait to read more. Enjoy these last days of your trip.