Sunday, July 22, 2007

From the mouths of babes . . .

The children of the house and their friends were laughing at me. At first I didn't know why and in fact I didn't mind. After all children will be children. Eventually, my curiosity got the best of me and I had to ask why. They said they couldn't understand a word I was saying. I talked to fast. They said I was a typical American--rabbit mouth! They went on to compare and contrast American English versus British English. And of course, they criticized American English as being inferior. We don't take the time to enunciate words like the British and as a result it's harder for them to understand us.

I have to admit the criticism revealed an American bias on my part. I always think of other cultures as sounding strange. I was so focused on trying to decipher their accents that it didn't occur to me they were having the same problem! Shame on me!

Now this conversation revealed the resentment younger people have for America. It goes without saying they (not just the children) hate American foreign policy and the war in Iraq. When I asked one of the kids to come visit me in America, you would have thought I had cursed his family. He had no interest. Now I don't know if this is reflective of all youngsters in Cameroon. I haven't been here long enough to meet others, but somehow I think it "might" be the general attitude. They prefer Europe and Canada.

I even had someone (not the children) to tell me that it might be best for me not to tell many people I'm American for the sake of my safety! I should emphasize that I have Cameroonian heritage. Not don't be alarmed. I'm in a safe place here, protected by my hosts. But I think if I were on my own without knowing someone, I'd be wrapping up my visit pretty quickly :-) And I sure won't being going out at night!

Again I'm in no REAL danger, but it emphasizes the point of how current American policy has severely damaged the reputation of the USA to the world.

Good job, Mr. Bush!!

1 comment:

kbear said...

Yeah Bush has made it so that we Americans can't tell anyone we're an American when we go overseas. Of course it's worse for me, I'm a Texan also, so they'd get me before they'd get you.