Saturday, July 21, 2007

Royal Treatment

After I arrived at Professor Amin's (Martin)home I met his gracious wife, Stella. Although they have five grown sons who live in Canada, they've adopted three children, who are really Martin's nephew and nieces.

They had invited more CITEC staff members and two local television personalities. Martin wants me to go on television to talk about my trip and "casually" mention the work at CITEC. I knew I'd be making a couple of television appearances, but what I didn't know was the appearances are for national television. Not only will I be seen in Yaounde, but the ENTIRE country. Oh my!!! The first appearance will be on a show called "Hello", their version of Good Morning America. The second appearance will be on the afternoon show, sort of like a Regis and Kelly formatted type of show, only with one host.

They were all so happy to see me, and some of them traveled a distance to be here to meet me. Usually I'm a shy person, but I was so humbled and honored that they'd take time out of their life to meet me, I decided I should be as engaging and as talkative as I could be. I was a chatterbox. I hope I didn't overdo it! But I figured how terrible would it be to come and meet someone and then that person didn't have much to say!! I hope didn't talk myself out and have something left for the interviews!!!

Stella prepared a lovely and delicious buffet. We sat and talked. I videotaped the guests for my documentary. There wasn't enough light, but I can't worry about everything.

For a shy kid from Mississippi, with self-esteem issues and few friends, I never felt so special. Although I know it was the staff has been "assigned" to take care of me, I will always treasure that moment of feeling special.

No comments: