Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Television appearance

It went really well. I think the main reason was because I don't know anybody in Cameroon. When we went to the television station, most of the folks who accompanied me were excited and star struck by the TV personalities. After all, this is their national television outlet and one of their highest rated shows. These personalities are like Oprah, Letterman, Leno, and Brokaw to them. But I didn't know them at all, except the two I met the night I arrived. So it was no big deal to me in that sense. But I was excited for the people with me and I wanted to do a good job for CITEC. Unfortunately for CITEC, the interviewer asked very few questions that allowed me to talk about the school. The questions focused mainly on my DNA test and pursuit of my
Cameroonian heritage. I was concerned that the people of CITEC may have thought I pulled a fast one and purposely wanted to focus on me. But they understood my position and didn't have any hard feelings against me. Plus, they knew I tried to mention CITEC as much as possible under the circumstances. One funny note: The interviewer noted that I was single. She asked me what I thought of Cameroonian men. I said they were strikingly handsome and I couldn't keep my eyes off them. (which is true!) I received loud applause from the men in the audience, Then she told the male viewers all over the country that I was available. Right after the show I started getting calls!!!! Go figure. I had to reach the "golden" years of my life and travel to another continent to get "some play". Oh well, better late than never . . .

Note: Since the appearance, people are very concerned about me finding my Tikar family. A group of Tikar women are supposed to be contacting me. I have to admit I'm ashamed to say that I really hadn't focused on trying to find the exact family. It seems like an impossible task. I was just happy to trace to Cameroon. Their interest and concern is now prompting me to consider trying to take that next step.

2 comments:

Marie said...

You say you can't keep your eyes off them.....oh well, are there any single ones you can ship home for me?! Of course that would be the one single idea I would pull from your comments...Stay safe and your picture is really good and I bet they keep their eyes off you either!! Marie....of how dumb...You know my thoughts were about you on your BD....much love

Unknown said...

Belinda Winfrey!