Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The countdown begins!!!

Wow, I've been writing about this project for almost six months and now I'm DAYS away from my departure.

I've taken all my vaccinations and submitted the paperwork for my visa. I should be picking the visa up this week or next week for sure.

I picked up all my meds for the trip--hopefully I won't have to use them!

I've been shooting B-roll footage with the camera. It's a safe way to learn how to operate the camera. I still can shoot some good shots! Just need to get an extra battery and a hard carrying case.

I talked with my contact at BERUDEP. He said the villagers are anxious to appear in the documentary. They plan to put on a performance. How thrilling. I have to make sure I get it all recorded. Also he wants me to document the plight of the people from the burnt out village. I hope I can get someone to see it and generate interest to help them.

I've been having interesting conversations with CITEC. The Director wants me to present four workshops with each being two hours long. What a challenge, but I'm willing to meet it. The topics mainly focus on project management. I feel more comfortable with writing, since those are the classes I teach. But project management is an intricate part of generating technical documentation so I'll design my presentation from that unique perspective.

My father surprised me by expressing serious concerns about my trip. He's concerned about my safety as a woman traveling alone. I admit I understand his concern and it did affect me. There was a moment I ALMOST changed my mind. But I talked with my contacts and expressed how I was feeling. The more I questioned them, the better I felt. I also took the normal precautions--registered with the embassy and bought self-defense products such as personal alarms. I've also asked my brother to call and check things out.

I listen to my French tape EVERY night. I won't be able to speak French fluently by any stretch of the imagination, but I will recognize and be able to say the few French phrases on the tape :-)

No comments: