Sunday, July 22, 2007

Cultural faux pauxs . . .

As I mentioned in the previous post, I'm a rabbit mouth American :-)

I'm also not lady-like because a woman "my age" shouldn't be wearing so many trousers, particularly jeans!

Believe me, I take all this in stride. It's a good lesson in cultural differences.

I have to admit that I am concerned that I won't be understood when I'm delivering my lectures. I'll try to slow down, but I can't change the way I speak in 48 hours. (This is really funny because I'm always telling my English as second language students to slow down during their presentation. I bet they wish they could see me now!!!)

I did bring skirts for my television appearances. I brought capri slacks for my workshop presentations, which apparently is acceptable. Plus as I watch TV and look around, many women wear jeans and slacks--even the first lady of the country wears slacks.

I think the problem with me is the age--a woman my age. It's OK for the younger women to wear slacks, not just some old spinster like me :-) :-)

All in all people have been wonderful to me. They still treat me like a queen. The food has been fabulous and the weather perfect. But I just want to document EVERYTHING I experience. Very few people visit Cameroon so I have a rare opportunity to reveal the culture to the world. And it's a great culture. In future posts I will highlight that so it won't seem as if I'm portraying a negative picture.

4 comments:

kbear said...

How do the men there dress?

kgord said...

It sounds like a wonderful experience so far. I find the reaction to Americans sad, but completely understandable. I admire your strength and compassion during what must have been difficult moments for you in the airport and in the public market. Can't wait to hear more about your amazing experiences.

Unknown said...

FZB gave us all this link. Fascinating! I'm delighted to that I'll be able to follow the whole adventure.
SBS

bsarn said...

I think it's just an excuse for the men to check out your legs. Fascinating so far.