Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My Host Family

Martin and his family are wonderful people. They have been so kind to me. I want people to know a bit about them.

Martin
Founded CITEC. Educated in Ottawa,Canada and has a Ph.d in statistical analysis. (In fact, he's in charge of montoring
the integrity of voting results in Cameroon!) Has written several books, including
research analysis and the educational process of Cameroon. Has taught in several universities in Africa: Yaounde, Uganda, and I think Ghana (need to verify that). Many people refer to him as "Daddy" because he's helps EVERYONE and has mentored countless numbers of people.

Stella
Martin's wife. Educated in Ottawa, Canada. Has a degree in education. Teaches secondary level high school. Mother of five sons who are being educated in Ottawa. Takes care of five "adopted" children. Great supportive person. Very kind and a GREAT COOK.

Five sons
Edmund, Kenneth, Marvin, Nelson, and Franklin. (not in chronological order) All live and go to school in Canada. Ages range from 19 to 30. Helped their father start CITEC by providing computers and technical expertise and support. All of them are being educated and/or working as computer engineers.

"Adopted" children ( I made a mistake in an earlier post and said they were taking care of four children)
Elizabeth: Will be 20 years old. Very kind. Warm smile. Great work ethic.
Stella: 13 years old. Sweet, sweet girl. Beautiful smile, Very dutiful and endearing.
Martin: not sure of age. I guess around 8 or 9. Very shy around me. Well behaved and respectful.
Joel: not sure of age. I guess between 14 to 17. Has hard time understanding my accent. Pretends not to like me, but I see him smiling at me from the corner of my eye when my back is turned.javascript:void(0)
Publier le message
George: 21, could be older, but perhaps not much older. Really don't think he likes me, basically because I'm American. But I can tell I'm growing on him :-)

I get a lot of insight from the children and I'll share more of that in later posts.

No comments: