Thursday, July 26, 2007

Seems like a fairy tale, part one

After Tuesday’s presentation, Martin said he wanted to have a serious discussion with me. I listened as he explained that he is a nobleman in his tribe called Fontem. His position is called a nkem (kim). He and other nkems serve just below the tribal chief. There are pictures of him dressed in ceremonial robes. I just thought they were typical African traditional clothing. As he was speaking, his wife got up and showed more pictures to confirm his position.

Each nkem can select a woman, called a mufua (moo-frwa), to be his assistant. The mufua represents the nkem in business matters and makes sure his wishes are executed. The mufua also manages other women in the tribe. Other women must cater to her and defer to her wishes. I guess you can tell where I'm going with this. Nkem Martin Amin asked me to be a mufua in the Fontem tribe, based on my work and attitude.

Of course I thought he was having a joke at the expense of his clueless African American visitor. But he and the entire family insisted that this was a legitimate invitation, not commonly extended. The attitude of the children convinced me the most. They were deadly serious, no snickering or teasing me the way they sometimes do.

After getting further assurance from his wife, I humbly accepted. It's an honor that he would think enough of me to embrace me in his family and his tribe. I have tremendous respect and admiration for this scholarly, kind gentleman.

But this is the kicker: on the Thursday before I leave, there will the first of two ceremonies. In the first ceremony on Thursday, they will anoint me as a mufua. Then they want me to return next May to go to their tribe in the southwest province for a second ceremony in front of the chief and the entire tribe. I am to bring my daughter and brothers, as they will now be related to a mufua. (I have to check, but I think they said this title passes down to my daughter. I know the nkem title passes down to one of Martin’s sons.)

Since I'm Tikar from the northwest province I asked if I can assume this role in the Fontem tribe in the southwest province. According to Martin and Stella, all the western provinces, be it north or south, have this concept of mufua. So a Tikar can be a mufua in the Fontem tribe.

So I will now be Mufua BeLinda Nichols.

Note: Although I appreciate and embrace this honor, the egalitarian soul that I am does not feel comfortable being in a position that requires other women to cater to me. However, since I don’t live here or in the village, it won’t pose a problem :-)

No comments: