Thursday, April 26, 2007

Made my first call to Cameroon

I purchased some international calling cards this morning. I called BEDERUP and asked to speak to my contact there. He wasn't available so I had to speak to a nice woman named Sibdelia. At first she gave me a hard time. But being the charmer that I am (haha) I was able to get her to put her guard down and she was very sweet by the end of the conversation. She wanted me to speak to another person there, but since I've developed a rapport with my contact, I'd rather ask him all my initial questions.

Interestingly the first words I heard were in French. Cameroon has two official languages--French and English. I was momentarily afraid that I'd be talking with French speakers. But when Sibdelia answered she spoke in English. This reminds me that I should learn some key French phrases for the French speakers I might encounter.

I missed my contact so I'll keep calling until I eventually reach him. The phone contact makes this more real than ever!!!

No comments: