Monday, April 16, 2007

Willing documentary participants from the village

My contact in Cameroon and I had a nice email chat today. He told me some widows in the village looked forward to meeting with me and participating in the documentary. I'm very pleased to hear this. I hope I meet others there who are willing to talk and be recorded.

He also talked again about the devastation in the Mbessa village. He's going to send pictures. I hope to share them with someone who can bring attention to the situation. Although Cameroon on a grand scale is a peaceful African country, they suffer from internal disputes like any other country. I hope to learn more about this. For all I know this could be a potential Darfur or Rwanda. If so, it is critical to intervene now before it explodes to a greater conflict. Here is an excerpt from our chat:

[Excerpt]
11:24 AM GM: Hello BeLinda
How are you??
me: How are you!!! I meant to call you this weekend. I was going to use the number on the website. Is that OK??
11:25 AM GM: I have been talking about you to a group of widows[
Yeah but I will have to charge my phone as it ran out of charges
11:26 AM me: Is it a mobile phone?
11:27 AM GM: yep,..,but it fix on one corner of the office
me: what would be a good day to call you this week or next week?
GM: as the network coverage is on spoted areas here
11:28 AM Thursday will be great
me: Will I be able to use my mobile phone there this summer?
OK, I will call you using the numbers on the website Thursday.
GM: yeah
me: Any particular time? I want to account for our time difference.
11:29 AM Are the widows from the village that was burned down??
GM: we could fix it for 6 pm my time
11:30 AM it is 7;30 pm here now
no
me: OK, that'll work.
GM: they were from a neighboring village call Njinikom
11:31 AM I told them they will be receiving a new American Volunteer this time who is of their color
11:32 AM I told them your name,..,and they were excited about the news,..,I also told them that you will be doing a documentary
11:33 AM me: That's wonderful. I'm anxious to meet them and to hear their stories about their lives. And I hope they don't mind me sharing my life here in San Francisco.
11:34 AM GM: they will be so happy and welcoming
We have a program with widows where they come in and learn how to use medicinal plants for health remedies..,
Widows are a set of disadvantage group in the community as women have problems with land inheritance issues
Given it is
[Excerpt]
Question; I can send you pictures of the fire incident?? are you still interested helping victims
me: Oh yes, sure. I've been expecting you to do so. If you don't mind I'll pass it along to other people. Perhaps we can draw some attention to it.
11:55 AM GM: so we are gathering cloths and food supplies
Ok,..,I'ms so happy to hear ,..,,yeah pass it on to any sympathizer

11:56 AM GM: I will be here later
have enjoyed talking to you
me: OK, I'm going to lunch now. We can discuss this more during our conversation Thursday.---Peace . . . .
GM: wish you a great day,..,.,..,

No comments: