Sunday, April 8, 2007

30th Anniversary of the mini-series ROOTS

As I was channel surfing I noticed TV1 is showing ROOTS to honor its 30th anniversary. You know that caught my attention! I'm going to Africa to get in touch with my roots this year--how ironically timely.

The most interesting thing about it is how old it makes me feel. I remember when ROOTS debuted back in 1977. I was a sophomore in college! Thirty years later I now have a daughter who's a freshman in college.(Yes, Airwolf, now you know my age:-) Seems like yesterday we were huddled in the college dorm absorbing every episode. And believe me it was really interesting to watch this in the mid-seventies at my Mississippi, predominantly white college campus. To describe that would take it's own blog site--hahaha.

Back then I was a carefree college student, totally absorbed in my life. I THOUGHT I had problems then, but little did I know what real problems would be later in life!

A few of my friends who were watching back then are not on the earthly plane anymore. I'm glad I made it to celebrate the 30th anniversary. Hope I'm around for the 60th anniversary . . . .

1 comment:

airwolf said...

30th anniversay of Roots? Hmmm, that is a long-ass time! It would be nice though to have your daughter accompany you on your trip. I think it would be a nice experience for you both. But maybe in 30 odd years she'll make the trek.

You may be old on paper, but you are still SO HOT! Like I say, women only get better with age.

I think whites were glued to the TV set watching ROOTS because they feel guilty for what their ancestors did and what THEY continue to do. It is my firm belief, as Mike Malloy does, that all whites are racist. What distinguishes him and say, Bill Clinton, is that they are working on their racism. (let me get off my high horse).

Indeed, you are right, BeLinda. We tend to be overly obsorbed in your lives and we don't take time out to "smell the roses." Sometimes we need a hardship to realize that our lives before was okay, not bad at all.

~I'm hold a class of Martinelli's Cider~ CHEERS! To the next 30 years!!!!!