Sunday, April 1, 2007

Screw the gym, I'd rather do yoga

In one of my earlier posts, I stated all the things I needed to do (Tuesday, January 23, 2007) to prepare for Cameroon. One of those things is to get in better physical shape. At the time of the posting, I had accepted a 10-day trial membership with 24 Hour Fitness. It was my intent to join after the trial. But I went through a bout of illness and never got around to paying for the membership.

During my struggle of getting better it occurred to me that I should do yoga to get in shape instead of working out in a gym. First of all, I HATE gyms. I can't take running, biking, and sweating in a confined space with strangers, most of whom are there to pick up someone. I have no problem with picking up someone, but not when and where I'm working out. That's just like making the moves on someone while you're putting on your makeup!

Yoga is more introspective. You can be around a bunch of strangers, but you focus on your spiritual as well as physical development. You're encouraged not to focus on what others do around you. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure yoga studios are probably hotbeds for pickups, but it's more subtle. With yoga, I can develop muscle strength, flexibility, and endurance without lifting heavy steel objects. Not to mention it's a perfect vehicle for restorative activity for a less than optimum body. Yoga allows me to BREATHE.

So the bottomline FOR ME is--- yoga yes, gym no.

2 comments:

airwolf said...

Don't knock running. Through running, I was able to remove 20 lbs (that is 10%) of my body weight in just 2 months. It doesn't take too much effort all it takes is running 2 miles per week!!! Yoga shmeeoga!!

airwolf said...

Oh, i forgot to mention, you need to run two miles TWICE per week.